Articles have different types: features, news stories, instructional articles, profiles and a lot more. While each of these has unique qualities, all these share common characteristics. They all have the ideas, information, structure and message. How do article writers form their ideas especially when they have a lot of topics to write about?
This article shows the step by step process on how to form ideas in every article writing session:
1. Initially, the writers must know what article type they want to write about. In figuring out the potential focus of a particular topic, writers must also think about the article type to be written that suits the messages they want to deliver. There are specific types of articles that perfectly fit a particular topic.
Examples of most common article types are:
This article type presents things and facts that already happened, are currently happening and will be happening in the future. Usually, its structure answers the questions: what, who, when, where, how and why.
Unlike straight news, feature articles present more descriptive and creative set of information to the readers. This article type features topics about a particular person, place, phenomenon and other subjects.
This is more of an opinionated type of article. Its intention is to persuade readers to think in a certain way regarding the topic.
This type of article provides clear step-by-step instructions on how to do a particular task.
Through conducting research and interviews, this type of article tells more about the life of particular person.
2. Writers should do brainstorming for potential topics. Draft a list of topics to write about – ranging from history of man to the current technological advances. Narrow down the topic to write something cohesive and coherent.
In article writing, it’s also important for writers to determine these two things if they have them:
• Interest on the topic
• The purpose why they are going to write this article
3. Writers must choose something that they are passionate about. This can increase their enthusiasm to write more articles in order to draw in more readers.
4. Do preliminary research about the chosen topic. If writers are not familiar with the topics that they are going to write, it will be helpful if they can conduct preliminary researching.
There are two ways to research a particular topic:
• Enter a list of keywords on various search engines. Usually, this process enables writers to search for reliable and relevant information on the internet.
• Reading a lot of books and other printed materials. Visit a local library or scan through the pages of a morning newspaper. Examples of other printed materials are: journals, magazines, newsletters and etc.
5. Look for unique topic angles. After choosing topics and narrowing them down, writers must identify how they can make these articles stand out. Try to use a different article writing approach because other writers may also be writing the same set of topics. Make sure to come up with trendy and interesting articles based on the chosen approach.
6. Writers must hone the arguments. Arguments are made by writers when they do article writing. These arguments are considered as the articles’ main thrusts that’s why writers need quality arguments to come up with quality articles. After identifying the unique angles, writers can then focus on working the arguments.
As much as possible, writers should focus on the main argument to avoid misleading contexts up to the end of the article. Write the arguments in short sentences and place them near the work area to avoid lack of focus.